New and Improved JustGoRide
With a new design and enhanced features, it’s never been easier to find somewhere to ride
Over the last year we have been listening to your feedback and planning an update for 2014 that enhances the functionality of the site whilst improving the over performance of our core features. The aim was to go back to our roots, focus on route sharing and revisit those core elements of the site with the aim of providing a far better user experience.
You asked for things such as a ‘follow the road’ function on the route creator and the ability to upload rides direct from a Garmin GPS, and we have obliged and added those feature and more besides!
So, here is a run down of what has changed!
We have made it easier than ever to upload a route to the JustGoRide route catalogue. You now have two options, upload from file or direct from a Garmin GPS device.
• Upload from file with support for either GPX or TCX file
• Upload directly from a supported Garmin GPS device – choose from a list of saved routes.
• New Preview step where the route is visualised prior to saving it
• Option to edit the route via the Route Creator during the upload process
• Quick and easy to add final details such as a title and description before saving.
The Route Creator has always been a vital part of the site but has never been perfect, to be honest far from it. We have now ironed out all of the bugs and made it far more robust with an improved interface and more options to make creating a new route easier than ever.
• ‘Follow the road’ functionality added to Google maps to make plotting road routes quick and easy.
• Bing maps offer OS level detail essential for plotting off road routes
• Accurate elevation charting as you plot with an improved interactive elevation chart
• Edit a route by inserting, removing and moving track points
• Reverse the direction of a route to gain a new perspective on an old ride.
• Easier than ever to upload in one easy step to the JustGoRide route database.
Routes are definitely a location kinda thing so really the best way to find somewhere to ride is on a map. With this is mind we have optimised the route search map and made the keyword search more efficient.
• Improved map search loads route onto the map as you pan and zoom around
• Improved keyword search
• Filter by category – road or off road, on either map or keyword search
• Sort keyword results by recency, distance and rating
The route view is probably the most important part of the site, the place where you view and analyse a route and where you can start to plan your next adventure. With this is mind we have freshened up the interface and added tags and comments. we have also enhanced the elevation chart making it interactive with the route to enable distance/elevation comparisons. You can now tell how far that climb is into the ride!
• Improved interactive elevation chart and route polyline allowing elevation and distance comparisons.
• Improved nearby routes feature with preview and map overlay option
• Route owner managed comments
• Enhanced review composition
• Tags to replace previous keyword feature
• Enhanced book marking feature
• Improved file and Garmin device download
• Enhanced route owner Inline route detail editing
There are more changes on the horizon but in the meantime we hope you enjoy using your new and improved GPX route sharing site!
As always if you experience any issues with the new features please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll make sure we sort them out!
Posted by Pete on 28 February 14